Monday, January 30, 2012

To GPS or Not?

I'm torn on the subject of GPS as I have recently acquired a Soleus GPS watch and have really enjoyed testing it out. My problem is that people who wear the GPS based watches are constantly monitoring them and tracking nearly every aspect of the run. A normal run has a natural rhythm to it and paces shift drastically depending on both the length and the conditions of the run itself. Most runs start relatively slow with regards to the overall average pace and especially the finishing pace. With a GPS, the runner has a tendency to see they are running slower than they want in the first few miles and presses to attain a certain goal time. You have to give yourself the time to warmup naturally and it is important that your body dictates this warmup. So my big con of GPS is the constant monitoring and altering of the run based on that information. Of course, this is not a problem if you can make the decision to say, "whatever" and just run anyway. Sometimes easier said than done. On normal runs, or routes that I run often I prefer a standard watch. I know the distances well enough and this allows me to develop a sense of how fatigues I am based on my perceived effort. It also allows for the development of an internal sense of pace which is good for any distance runner.

Where I do love the GPS is when I am running in areas that are new or when I don't have a relatively predetermined route. When traveling with the team this is often the case as I run before our meets and usually just go from our hotel to wherever I can find that is suitable for a decent amount of mileage. The GPS offers a bit of reinforcement that my hour run was actually nine miles and that I did not vastly under or overestimate how far I went. Again, when I do use the GPS even in the above situation I often neglect to check the pace it shows and just use it as a measure of distance covered. I don't think pace is that important to develop and sustain fitness to a certain point and that the key factor is getting out and putting the miles in.

GPS is useful and offers great information for the runner. I think it is best used without caring what is says for the first few miles and then feel free to pursue a suitable pace. Listening to your body as an individual will always offer the most important information and at the time being a GPS doesn't tell you how your feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment