Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Stress Of Life

It's hard to get out the door day to day; especially if that happens to be a day where you are running alone.  Some days it can seem as if every step is a struggle; days where your "easy" was more than a pain.  That's normal.  We all deal with it and usually we push through it without much issue.  When it does become a problem is when stress from other aspects of life become compounded with that regular struggle.  The question becomes how do you deal with it then?

I personally can get pretty down when things don't feel right.  If there are issues with my job, family, or I'm worried about money I have a bad habit of dwelling on that despite the other very positive aspects my life.  This takes a physical toll on my running, most noticeably if I don't run in the morning and the day was a tough one.  The mental strain of worry simply drains me.  The best part is, I'm not crazy.  http://www.webmd.com/balance/guide/how-worrying-affects-your-body  Obviously the best approach would be to eliminate the stress that is causing you to feel poorly and then back to running as usual right?  Easier said than done.  

What I've done when life really gets me down is to turn to running itself to alleviate that discomfort.  Again, obvious right?  Go run for a bit to burn off some of those bodily chemicals and to push some feel good dopamine.  But it goes a bit further than that too.  Long-term slumps where you just feel crappy can take more than a few normal runs so I have a few things I incorporate when I'm down and just as a part of routine.  

Don't Cut the Run Short.  I usually feel much better once I get past twenty or thirty minutes, so if I make it through that part the second half of the run is fine and I have the mental relief of thinking at least I did my whole run.  A short run is great because it does burn off some steam but I find that not deviating from your normal routine is more beneficial.

Change the Location.  It's fine to run where you always run but throwing in a curve ball and going to a place you love to run helps.  Being somewhere you enjoy helps you relax and really feel like you are doing something positive.  I prefer to hit a long trail that doesn't have many people on it.  

Run with a Friend.  Having a running partner always makes running easier, but running with a friend when your stressed makes both the run and the world seem better.  Someone to vent to, someone who understands, and someone you can trust.  Coupling a decent run with a good buddy can really help lift your spirits.

Run Alone.  As much as running with someone is great, sometimes you just have to head out on your own.  It allows you to think things through and focus on what's been bothering you in an environment where you can just shut off and go.  Again, as you are already feeling drained running alone can be difficult but sometimes it will be just what you need.  I try not to run more than a few days alone though as it can add to the mental toll of feeling alone.  

No Worries About the Pace.  Don't worry about how fast or slow you're going.  The truth is, it doesn't matter at all.  You are out there running and you are going to be better for it, so no need to worry about speed today.  You can worry about going fast when you are feeling better and you're not worried about the things you are worrying about now!  That was a lot of worry in one sentence......

These are just my personal feelings about dealing with stress and maintaining your running.  Just like anything, there can be a point where you need to stop.  If you really aren't feeling a run then just maybe you should take the day to rest.  Dealing with stress is a personal thing that you need to figure out on your own over time.  I hope that my writing helps you determine how you can best deal with stress while limiting its effect on your running and using running to limit the effects of stress on your life.  Thanks for reading and Run Steady my friends......

No comments:

Post a Comment