Monday, April 8, 2013

Suppleminimal

Minimal shoes are huge right now and I know a lot of people have very polar opinions of them.  From my own experiences and that of those whom I've run with I see minimal shoes as a great supplemental training shoe for individuals running a fair amount of mileage.  Hence... "Suppleminimal." 

Minimal shoes are a great way to safely mimic barefoot running with less fear of a piece of glass or a rogue thorn causing you to fall to your knees in pain.  Minimal shoes are often more flexible and keep your heel closer to the ground which works muscles in the foot and lower leg that may otherwise be underutilized. The idea is that you're strengthening stability muscles and developing stronger running form because of that.  The downside is that you are often taking more impact  and potentially changing your form while running in a minimal shoe which could lead to injury.  

The key, as I see it, is to find a balance that works for you and to make small changes to find that balance.  It's just like the idea of Steady State in that you can find a balance that works for you and that balance may not work for everyone.  If you want to incorporate a minimal shoe into your training routine I would look at it in terms of percentages to reduce the likelihood or injury or a lot of soreness.  Think of it in the same light that you would with regards to how many miles you run per week.  It would be less than intelligent for most people to go from running 20 miles per week to 120 miles per week without a calculated progression.  The same goes for shoes.  You may find the most success by adding a minimal trainer one or two days a week at first and seeing how your body responds.  It could be an "aha" moment or it could be a this feels awful moment.  The point is to give your body a chance to see how it feels and how you personally like the minimal shoe.  

For me, I have found that I like a minimal shoe for double runs but my body does not hold up well enough to use them for more than 10-15% of my weekly volume.  I have found success with guidance/ structured shoes that offer a bit more support and when I veer too far I become less comfortable.  So by adding the minimal aspect for a few miles a week I can achieve the benefits discussed above without the negatives.  I also like to wear a minimal trainer as a kick-around shoe (that's what i call my casual shoes).  You can still achieve some of the shoes benefits from simply walking in them while again reducing the risk of discomfort.  

Quick Thoughts:

  • Minimal Shoes Offer Benefits Helpful to Long Term Running Health
  • Being Careful is Important
  • Small Changes are Best
  • Shoes are just as Individual as Running 

People ask if I'm pro-minimal or if I would recommend a minimal running shoe for them.....  The answer is Yes, I am pro-minimal and I think minimal trainers make runners stronger over time.  I approve the suppleminimal approach for using a minimal trainer for a portion of your weekly mileage based on how you feel.  

This blog is based totally on my own opinions and should not be considered the end all be all.  Some people can run hundreds of miles barefoot and never get hurt while others can run three miles a week and become injured.  I hope that my thoughts will help guide you in forming your own opinion but remember that the words here are not based on medical studies but guided by my own experiences.  You may find that everything I believe about these shoes is false for you, the important thing is that if you are curious you give them a try if you feel the need.  I hope these words find you well; thanks for reading and continue to run steady!

No comments:

Post a Comment