Sunday, February 10, 2013

The Good Days

Consistently running and pushing up the amount you run can leave you feeling sluggish and flat quite often.  An average week leaves me with about two days I don't feel all that good, two days that are just average runs, and then three runs I would say I felt decently well.  But every once in a while, there is that special run where you expect to feel crappy and then things just click.

That is the beauty that lies in grinding out runs as you never really know what to expect.  The horrible runs are indeed horrible and I personally have had my fair share.  But there is something so magical about a run that you go into thinking, "This could be rough" and then you find yourself clicking off miles at 30 seconds to a minute faster than expected.  It has been a while since I've had one of those but I know that it could be tomorrow.  Again, there lies the beauty of running as everyday is a new day and you start with a clean slate.  You have a chance for that great run.  But this is where the pain and agony of running lies as well.  Everyday is a new day and you start it with ZERO miles.  You have to be willing to go out and put the time in to even have a chance at that perfect day.  It's easy to run three days a week and feel great all the time.  This blog post honestly will not resonate to the people that run that way and that's fine.  But if you have ever consistently pounded away miles week after week than you surely understand why the good days and the perfect days are of such value.  

Running is hard.  There are certainly more average days than anything else.  If you can find enjoyment in the average days and learn to cope with the crappy ones then you have a chance to be great.  At the very least, you have a chance to be the best runner that you can be.  If you can find enjoyment in the difficult parts of running and in life then you can gain advantage on those that do not.  My run today did not feel great but it was not all that bad.  I did it.  I'll do it again tomorrow barring injury or illness and I will keep chasing that perfect day.  Who knows, maybe if I'm lucky I'll have one the next time I race.  

Keep the faith and keep running.  Thanks for reading and Run Steady my friends.  

No comments:

Post a Comment