Friday, January 25, 2013

When No One's Watching

As we all know, running is not the most glamorous or revered sport in the eyes of the lay person.  The funny thing is just how little they really know.  The hours spent alone or with those few training partners brave enough to dedicate themselves to being better are far too many to count.  We are often met with responses of how crazy we are for the mileage we run or the times we wake just to get a workout in.  This is amplified for the post-collegiate athlete still chasing a dream.

I couldn't help but think about this as I timed a workout for Darwin on the track yesterday as it was 20 degrees and gusting winds.  He ground out a 400 workout wearing whatever gear we can get and a pair of Brooks flats that are likely a half size too small.  I ran earlier on my own battling the cold but still putting in my 75 minute run.  I finished, took a quick shower, and headed to the track.  Truth be told I'm freezing as my hair is still a bit wet but I've got to head to a work meeting directly after timing the workout.  It's Darwin's day off of work but he is struggling with the cold and has worked so much over the past week that he looks visibly tired as he first exchange hellos.  Still, he hits every quarter at nearly the exact pace I prescribe and off short rest.  He finished the last quarter and after a brief goodbye he heads off for a cooldown and I jog to my vehicle.  

How's that for glamorous?  With no gear sponsor or monetary support we continue to pursue our "better" and do what needs to be done.  Running is still a huge part of life for post-collegiates still training at high levels it simply becomes more important than ever to manage your time and balance running with all the other aspects of life you have to deal with now.  It's a delicate balance and it becomes more difficult than ever to run"fast", but you can count on one thing....  

Regardless of who is watching or who is not, you can count on the runners like us to go after it.

1 comment:

  1. I think the best runs happen when no one is watching. That's where the real work gets done. That's where you run for you, not for anyone else.

    Great post. (Came from the Brooks Fanatics Facebook Page)

    ReplyDelete